Spatial Audio Updates Coming to Fortnite Battle Royale
Tactical audio cues have always been incredibly important to the core gameplay of Fortnite Battle Royale, and Epic has started to test ways they can improve the in-game audio. You can read all the updates below:
Season 6 - v6.00
- Footstep sounds
- More contrast between above/below steps.
- We want this to be easier to determine on the fly, especially while other sounds are playing (gunfire, harvesting, etc).
- More high-frequency audio content to improve your ability to pinpoint the location of steps, and to prevent them from getting drowned out during intense combat.
- Glider audio tells
- Increased awareness when an enemy is gliding in your vicinity.
- Doppler-based glider audio for incoming threats. This will create that “car passing by” effect when a player glides over top of you.
- Improved spatialization of both skydiving and gliding players.
- Ability to hear the open/close sounds of gliders from further away.
During Season 6
- A system to add audio tells for in-air movement options (falling, Bouncers, Shockwave Grenades, etc).
- In Fortnite there are a lot of options for players who want to send themselves flying through the air. We want to add sound to players as they fly.
- This will provide additional tactical information and reduce cases where a player launches behind you without you knowing it.
- Better info to help you predict where your enemy may approach from.
- Discover and address cases where sounds don’t play at all.
- Due to the chaotic nature of the game, sometimes important cues fail to play or are lost in the mix. We’re working on identifying and fixing cases where this occurs.
If you’re as excited as we are about Fortnite Battle Royale Season 6, then you can check out our teaser article here.